Saturday, October 04, 2008

Do’s and don’t during lightning

Lightning is one of nature’s most awe-inspiring and dangerous phenomenon. The average lightning flash could light a 100-watt light bulb for more than three months.

The temperature of a lightning bolt may reach 27,760 degree Celsius, which is hotter than the surface of the sun.

Lightning isn’t only an outdoor hazard. In houses without adequate lightning protection, it can turn bathing or showering into a dangerous undertaking.

There’s also risk of lightning shocks being transmitted via the telephone or plugged-in-electronics in houses without protection.

Such safeguards, plastic water pipes rather than metal ones, for example, are standard in newer buildings and make it safe to bathe in stormy weather.

Those living I older houses without lightning protection should unplug telephones, computers and televisions during storms, protecting them from damage in case of a lightning strike.

If that’s too much work, it’s safer to at least install special socket inserts that protects against surges. –dpa

Do’s and don’ts

Many people incur injuries or are killed due to misinformation and inappropriate behaviour during thunderstorms. A few simple precautions can reduce many of the dangers posed by lightning.

Avoid being in or near

High places and open fields, isolated trees, gazebos, open sided picnic shelters, baseball dugouts, communication towers, flagpoles, light poles, bleachers (metal or wood), metal fences, convertibles, golf carts, water (ocean, lakes, swimming pools, rivers, etc.)

When inside a building
Avoid using the telephone or computer, taking a shower, washing your hands, doing dishes, or any contact with conductive surfaces with exposure to the outside such as metal door or window frames, electrical wiring, telephone wiring, cable TV wiring, plumbing, etc.

If driving
Stay in your automobile. An enclosed automobile offers reasonable good protection from lightning, as long as you don’t touch metal.

Marco’s comment:
Many of the house owners in Malaysia and Singapore changed the water supply inlet pipe from PVC type to copper pipe due to the reason for lasting. Please pass this information to those who are going to renovate their house or redo the plumbing system of the house.

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...